What is the benefit of being a Call2Recycle collection site for eBike and eScooter batteries?
Call2Recycle offers bicycle retailers and ride sharing operators a turnkey and easy-to-implement program to ensure safe and responsible recycling of eBike and eScooter batteries at their end of life.
- In-store or ride share battery recycling programs demonstrate retailers’ and operators’ commitment to environmental sustainability and enhances the level of safety taken within the store’s or ride share’s program operations.
- Recycling used e-bike and scooter batteries keeps hazardous materials out of landfill which helps protect the environment.
- An in-store or ride share battery recycling program provides an opportunity to service customers in need of additional items including of the purchase of replacement batteries and other accessories.
- Materials generated from the recycling of eBike and eScooter batteries are used to manufacture other new products.
How does the collection program work at retail?
- Customers return their used eBike battery to your store.
- Staff place the batteries in a UN-certified, flame-retardant shipping box.
- Staff seal the box with provided material, complete the shipping bill on the box and call Purolator for a pre-paid pick-up.
- Purolator then collects and ships the box to Call2Recycle’s processor according to Transport Canada safety standards.
- Staff can order new boxes at any time by calling customer service at 1-888-224-9764 or on-line at www.call2recycle.ca/emobility-kit-order/
Once the box is full, staff simply and call Purolator to schedule the box pick up.
Is there a fee for offering this program to customers?
There is no fee to the collection partner for being a collection site. However, to cover the costs of safe battery collection, transportation, and recycling, Call2Recycle charges an Environmental Handling Fee (EHF) to obligated OEMs, bicycle-scooter brand owners, or importers of record. This fee is generally passed on by the retailer within the price of the eBike or eScooter (not applicable in B.C. or Ont.) or within the price of replacement batteries or as a line item on the invoice before the sub-total and taxes.
If you have any questions about the EHFs, please contact Erich Repper at [email protected] or at 438-448-4274, toll-free: 1-888-224-9764
HOW DO I REGISTER AND GET STARTED?
Sign-on with Call2Recycle as an eBike and/or eScooter lithium battery collection site.
If you have any questions about registering as a collection site for eBike and eScooter batteries, please contact Erich Repper at [email protected] or at 438-448-4274, toll-free: 1-888-224-9764
Collection sites will receive the following upon registration:
1. Two Call2Recycle collection boxes for the safe collection and transportation of end-of-life lithium eBike batteries.
a. Each box holds up to 25 lbs / 12 kgs of batteries, equal to roughly three or four battery units.
b. Each box is affixed with a flame-retardant liner to prevent a thermal event.
c. Boxes can ship with one battery or more up to the maximum weight and come with a Purolator return shipping label. All shipping costs are automatically covered by Call2Recycle. There is no cost to the collection partner.
2. A service department poster that details safe handling and shipping instructions for eBike batteries.
3. Bicycle handlebar hangtags promoting ‘eBike battery recycling available at this store’. (Not applicable in B.C. or Ont.)
4. Battery vinyl cling stickers for placement on the back of the eBike battery promoting ‘eBike battery recycling available at this store’. (Not applicable in B.C. or Ont.)
5. Access to Call2Recycle’s dedicated customer service team for immediate response to your inquiries.
Damaged, Defective Lithium Battery Kit
As an additional safety measure, collection partners will have access to a separate specifically designed container for damaged, defective batteries. Kits can be requested at the time your store identifies a damaged or defective battery. Call2Recycle will ship the kit within a 48-hour arrival time. Each kit takes one or two return batteries and should be shipped the same day as packed.
How does the collection program work for ride share operators?
- Ride share operators contact Call2Recycle at 1-888-224-9764 and advise on the location and number of batteries required for pick-up.
- Call2Recycle will ship the required boxes or drums for batteries to be collected.
- Staff place the batteries in the UN-certified, flame-retardant containers provided, seal it with provided material, and call the transporter for a pre-paid pick-up.