As Canada’s national and leading battery collection and recycling program, Call2Recycle® has been voluntarily collecting batteries in Saskatchewan for recycling since 1997 and has established a strong presence in the province. Effective, January 1, 2021, Call2Recycle will operate a new government-approved consumer battery collection and recycling program according to The Household Hazardous Waste Products Stewardship Regulation.
Recycling Batteries has never been easier
Call2Recycle accepts used household batteries (weighing less than 5 kg each), excluding small sealed lead acid (SSLA), in its program. In partnership with municipalities and retailers, Call2Recycle has established convenient drop off locations across the province for Saskatchewan residents.
Retailers, municipalities, businesses and other locations may inquire about becoming a Call2Recycle collection partner.
To protect our environment and keep batteries out of landfill, beginning January 1, 2021, an Environmental Handling Fee (EHF) will be applied at time of purchase to single-use and rechargeable household batteries weighing under five kilograms. The EHF covers the cost of safely collecting, transporting and recycling used batteries so their materials can be reclaimed to manufacture new products like bicycles, golf clubs, and construction materials.
SASKATCHEWAN PROGRAM UPDATES AND INFORMATION FOR MEMBERS AND COLLECTORS
- On June 27, 2019, the Government of Saskatchewan introduced the new The Household Hazardous Waste Products Stewardship Regulation, which includes household batteries as part of the province’s overall recycling program objectives.
- If you sell, distribute or manufacture and are the first importer of batteries into the province, we encourage you to review the regulation to determine your obligation. If you determine that your organization is obligated, you will be required to implement a solution for the collection and safe disposal of hazardous waste including single-use and rechargeable household batteries. Call2Recycle is committed to working as your trusted partner fulfilling your battery recycling obligations in Saskatchewan and all of Canada’s regulated provinces.
- If you determine you are obligated under The Household Hazardous Waste Products Stewardship Regulation, you can now register Saskatchewan as a new jurisdiction in Call2Recycle’s online reporting portal, GreenTrax.
- An updated product guide and fee schedule listing regulated products and their associated EHFs are now posted here on the Steward Resources section of this website, in accordance with the 90-day notice period prior to the program effective date scheduled for January 1, 2021.
- For a two-page overview of Call2Recycle’s Saskatchewan program and next steps for members, please click here.