British Columbia eTransport Overview
In British Columbia, sporting equipment with electrical or electronic components is regulated under the Recycling Regulation Schedule 3, 2 (1)(g). In 2022, the regulation will be enforced and will require producers of eTransport products to establish a program to ensure such products are recycled responsibly, in their entirety, at the end of their useful life. In accordance with this section of the Regulation, Call2Recycle will collect and recycle eTransport products in their entirety in British Columbia on behalf of corporate stewards.
The Call2Recycle eTransport recycling program will provide a means for consumers to recycle their end-of-life eTransport products in a safe and compliant manner. Riders will be able to:
- Recycle their eTransport product by requesting an eTransport Direct Pick-Up
- Drop-off their eTransport product at a designated collection facility, visible on our site locator
The program is funded by an Environmental Handling Fee applied to the sale of each eTransport product sold into the British Columbia market. Call2Recycle uses the funds to pay for the collection, transportation and recycling of the eTransport product, along with training, materials to collection sites, and rider communication related to the program.
Accepted eTransport Products
The products accepted for recycling (collectively referred to as eTransport) will be:
- eBikes (including battery and bike)
- eScooters (including battery and scooter)
- eSkateboards (including battery and skateboard)
- Hoverboards (including battery and hoverboard)
The Call2Recycle program offers an extensive network where end-of-life eTransport products can either be dropped off for recycling at designated collection facilities, including independent bicycle retailers and recycling depots, or directly picked up at a rider’s residence or a drop-off location.
Joining the Program
There are different scenarios under which Call2Recycle and a company joining the eTransport recycling program may enter into an agreement:
- A new member will sign a Member Agreement with Call2Recycle, appointing Call2Recycle as the organization to responsibly handle the end-of-life management of eTransport products on behalf of the company.
- An existing member will sign an amendment to the existing Member Agreement, appointing Call2Recycle as the organization to responsibly handle the end-of-life management of eTransport products on behalf of the company.
Call2Recycle held three (3) consultation sessions via webinar to address any questions, comments and/or recommendations from industry stakeholders. Feedback and comments were included in the revised Extended Producer Responsibility Plan for eTransport Products, submitted to the British Columbia Ministry of Environment on May 16th, 2022.
Please click here for a copy of the consultation presentation.